Jonet Menu

What is Miyagi-Jonet?

MIYAGI JO-NET (Miyagi Women’s Support Network) is a non-profit organisation supporting women in the Tohoku area that was devastated by the earthquake and tsunami on March 11, 2011. We aim to connect the women in the affected areas with women and supporters from around Japan and the world. To this end, we are cooperating with various other women’s and relief organisations. Our many projects are designed to help women individually in reconstructing their lives and livelihoods. We thereby hope to brighten their everyday a little bit. We also collect relief/support goods and other donations to distribute them among the women and families affected by the disaster. Through regular meetings, our ‘salons,’ and consultations, we gain insight into women’s needs and concerns, and propose adequate measures to local and regional administrations.

Many of Miyagi Jonet’s members are women affected themselves by the disaster.


日本語 JAPANESE

23 Aug 2011

Sewing Machines for Onagawa & About My Hometown


On August 19, I visited a temporary housing unit in Onagawa.

The day before, I had returned to my hometown in Gunma for the first time in I don’t know how long.
I wanted to reassure my worried parents, and to directly thank all of my former classmates who called or sent emails or photos to support me at a time in the wake of the earthquake and tsunami, when I thought my heart might break.
My former classmates listened in earnest to my often disjointed accounts. I told such things as how my family members were victims of the disaster, of how I was no longer able to work, and of how I met people in the affected areas whom I was able to encourage and from whom, in turn, I was given encouragement.
I spoke of how women in Onagawa needed sewing machines.
It seems that my classmates, out of a desire to help me in some way, continued to discuss the matter at an all-night karaoke meeting. (crying …) And the next day, they delivered a sewing machine to my parents’ home. (deep emotion!!)
Sewing machines are nearly impossible to come by in Sendai, but after talking with my classmates, suddenly they produced one of the desired machines!  The young man who brought the sewing machine asked to remain nameless. He loves sea fishing, and has been to the sea here and there in Japan. He said: “The seas in Miyagi and Niigata are good, too, but it’s the people who are so great there.” and “I’ve been to Onagawa, too – it was so beautiful! It grieves me to realize that the beach and town no longer exist.” I understood then that everyone wanted to do so much more than just donate money.
Even though they are far away, I felt deeply thankful for having such good friends.
I realized something on my first trip home in so long. People in Gunma have loud voices, and they talk a lot; in my own home, my family often told me that I was loud. I think I now understand why that is.
The terrain of Tohoku is rich in gentle slopes, undulating across the countryside. Unlike the Kanto area and western Japan, it is filled with soft and flexible trees, grass and flowers. Delicate natural beauty is all around. People in Tohoku care about the sounds of the leaves and the wind and even the small insects. So while they talk to other people, they are also listening to the earth. I thought, that’s why their voices are softer, and they speak a little slowly. In Gunma, there is an extensive view of the Kanto plain, and from the Joshu mountains, a dry wind blows. The sunlight is bright, and the rumbling of thunder from summer clouds sounds much like that of an earthquake. To be heard in the midst of all of that noise, voices have to be loud.
When I went to the provisional city hall to buy Onagawa Recovery postcards, I met three very kind staff members. When I looked closely, I saw that they were wearing Gunma Prefecture tags and armbands. They were apparently providing administrative support. Here, too, was a link with Gunma.
It was a very warm and satisfying visit to Onagawa.
Tama.o



A wish come true at last – the first sewing machine delivery

Hand-sewn curtains. The first thing most women want to do if they can get their hands on a sewing machine is to sew concealing curtains like these. 

Mobile sales vehicle 




Black smoke rises as fishing nets are incinerated.



Rubble emitting harmful hydrogen sulfide and ammonia had been covered with ozone water.   

No comments:

Post a Comment